Friday, October 9, 2009

Bad questionaire....

Three things I found wrong with the questionaire are face validity, criterion validity and construct validity. When I took the questionaire, I was thinking "what the hell is this thing talking about?". The questions were all over the place. If we look at face validity, we can see that if you try and look at the data, you don't really know what the questionaire is supposed to measure. Also, the criterion validity can't be reached because with the questionaire being so broad and covering so many different topics, it is impossible to correlate with anything. When we look ath the construct validity, it is kind of the same thing as we see with the criterion validity in that it is so broad that you can't relate to a hypothesis. This would be a data miner's nightmare.

1 comment:

  1. David,

    I had the same concerns with the questionairre as you did along with a few others as I'm sure you did as well. My thoughts came mainly from the respondents point of view rather than the information collector's point of view. However, after reading your post it occurs to me that there is a good chance that the person performing or giving out the survey was not involved in its creation. The whole time I just kept thinking I wouldn't make survey like that so if it were me I'd be okay. Now that that thought has entered my mind it brings up a few issues to me such as what do we do is we are asked to perform some survey that we believe to be created incorrectly? Do we have the right to change the survey and if so what type of issues does this bring up as far as questions that are time sensitive or the maturation of respondents?

    ReplyDelete